This amazing four-star hotel is in the middle of the Maiensess, the May pastures above Lenzerheide. Abandoned 50 years ago, the stone and wooden farm buildings stood empty until the late 1960s when a Zurich businessman converted them, creating a country inn that is one-of-a-kind. Now Christine Abel and Mayyhias Wettstein are the owners and they've redecorated the bedrooms with flair, using pale colours and pear wood, and revamped the bathrooms.
Regulars come three or four times a year, treat it like their country home and expect to have their 'own' room. That could be number 47, high under the roof with tiny windows; or Stailetta, the split-level studio suite straight out of a design magazine with a huge bathroom fit for a Hollywood star. The main building dates from 1810, but looks medieval, with a gallery in the gourmet restaurant. In a former cowshed the informal Crap Naros restaurant serves local dishes such as venison with red cabbage. In winter, guests who ski out and ski back store their equipment in a ski room which, in summer, is the dairy.